Tree Advisory Board
The Board performed a street tree inventory in 2006 and recommended the City Council adopt regulations to protect trees and vegetation in the City. The Tree Board also prepares an Urban Forestry Strategic Plan and updates the plan every 5 years. The plan guides the care and maintenance of City trees and raises awareness of the importance of an urban forest.
The Yelm Tree Advisory Board meets six times a year (September, November, January, February, March and April), on the fourth Monday of the month at 4 p.m. at Yelm City Hall, 106 2nd St SE. (There are exceptions leading up to Arbor Day for meeting dates.) *Meetings are currently being held via Zoom.
Current members of the Tree Advisory Board are:
- Maureen Arroyo
- John Graver
- Kathleen Auckland
- Crystal Wilson
- Alec Sorenson
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Board, please complete an application.Adopt a Tree Program
The City of Yelm has been recognized as a Tree City USA by the National Arbor Day Foundation since 1996 and hosts an Arbor Day Celebration on the last Friday in April. Arbor Day is a community celebration recognizing the school age Arbor Day Contest winners and Memorial and Adopt a Tree donors.
The Memorial and 'Adopt a Tree' program encourages tree donations to honor, memorialize, or celebrate a special person, place, or event. Memorial Trees will be planted on City of Yelm property, including available spaces in parks, rights-of-way, or near City buildings. If you would like to make an 'Adopt a Tree' donation, please complete a brochure and return it with a check either in person or by mail to City Hall, 106 2nd St SE Yelm, WA 98597.
Your donation covers all costs for planting and aftercare. Your tree will come under the regular care of the city staff. The City will provide mulching, watering, staking, pruning and other maintenance as needed. Trees which fail to thrive for any reason within five years of planting will be replaced.
All donations will be entered in Yelm’s Memorial Tree Register, kept at City Hall. This will record, for future generations, the person or event being celebrated, the date of the donation, and the donor. All donors will also receive a Memorial Tree Recognition Certificate and a leaf on the memorial tree at City Hall.
Memorial Tree donations are accepted any time of the year, and a tree will be planted during the appropriate planting season. Your contribution of $50 or more, will cover the cost to plant and care for a tree normally at least 1.50 inches in diameter. In addition, donations of any amount may be earmarked for future tree projects. Donations are tax-deductible; please consult your tax advisor.
Your Memorial Tree will serve as a long term living memory to the past, growing in stature and beauty with each passing year, and improving our quality of life. There is no better investment in our surroundings Yelm is known for its Hawthorn trees along Yelm Avenue, which were originally planted in 1936, and have long been an important part of the City.
Photo by Yelm High School Graduate, Ashley Cunningham
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by _RECORDID in Descending Order within category
2023 Tree Advisory Board Agendas & Minutes11 documents
- September 2023- Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- October 2023 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- November 2023 Minutes - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- November 2023 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- January 2023 Minutes - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- January 2023 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- February 2023 Minutes - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- February 2023 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- December 2023 Minutes - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- December 2023 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- April 2023- Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
2021 Tree Advisory Board Agendas & Minutes1 document
2022 Tree Advisory Board Agendas & Minutes8 documents
- September 2022 Minutes - Yelm Tree Advisory Board.pdf
- September 2022 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- March 28 2022 Minutes - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- March 28 2022 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- March 2022 Minutes - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- March 2022 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- January 2022 Minutes - Yelm Tree Advisory Board
- April 2022 Agenda - Yelm Tree Advisory Board