How Do I...

General Government

How do I find who represents me in Congress and the State Legislature? 
The Washington State Legislature maintains a service to help you Find your Legislator. 

How do I find out more about Thurston County officials?
A list of Thurston County elected officials and Departments can be found on the County’s web site. 

How do I register to vote? 
Forms available at Yelm City Hall, 105 Yelm Ave West  at the Thurston County Auditor’s office at the Courthouse at  2000 Lakeridge Drive SW in Olympia.  You can also find out more about the process at the County Auditor’s website.  Click here to confirm your voter registration status.

How do I view a City Council meeting video? 
The City maintains past City Council, Planning Commission, and Hearing Examiner meetings hosted on the AVCaptureAll web site.

Development & Planning

What can I do with my property?
It depends on what your property is zoned. First, check the Yelm Zoning Map to find your properties zoning classification, then look in the Yelm Municipal Code, Chapter 17 - Zoning for that district.  It lists allowable uses as well as density and design requirements.  Generally speaking, the residential zoning districts allow for single family and multi-family dwellings and developments.  Uses that are accessory to a home are also allowed, such as storage buildings and garages, in home day cares, and home occupations. There are permit requirements for many uses, so check with the Community Development Department first.  Yelm’s commercial areas are divided into four classifications, from small and low impact uses in the downtown area, to large commercial uses at the edges of town.  Yelm also has a small industrial zoned area for manufacturing and other industrial uses. 

What is my neighbor doing on their property? 
Major land use actions such as subdivisions or special use permits will be advertised in the legal section of the Nisqually Valley News.  All public notices and lists of recent permits are posted in the Document Library. You are also welcome to call the Community Development Department at 360-458-8496.  If you have an address, it will help us find the property quickly.

Business & Taxes

How do I obtain a business license? 
Business license applications for the City are online and can be returned to City Hall to process.


For all water/sewer malfunctions or if your alarm comes on, call 360-458-8411.
For all other emergencies or if you are unable to get through, call 911.

How do I pay my utility bill online? 
How do I pay my utility bill over the phone? 
Call 1-833-289-9437.  (You will need your account number and your last payment amount.  Please call Yelm City Hall if you need this information, 360-458-3244.)

How do I request new water service? 
You need to complete an application for new water service and bring it to Yelm City Hall, 105 Yelm Avenue W., or mail it in with an original signature. 

How do I get my water turned back on if it is shut off, and how long will it take? 
For new service, please allow a minimum of 24 hours to connect new water service.  If your water has been shut off for non-payment, water service will typically be restored the same day if the past due balance is received by 4 PM. How much is my water bill? A combined water, sewer and stormwater statement is mailed to consumers on the last working day of each month. Landlord and property owners that are not currently receiving monthly utility bills are billed semiannually for stormwater. Bills are due on the 15th of each month.

Parks & Recreation

How do I find the various park facilities in Yelm? 
City Park is located at the intersection of 1st Street (SR 507) and Mosman Avenue SE
Cochrane Memorial Park is located at 750 Mill Road SE.
Longmire Park is at 16820 Canal Road SE.

How do I reserve a park area? 
Cochrane Memorial Park and Yelm City Park may be reserved for large groups or events by filling out a park use request form and bringing it to City Hall.  Longmire Park is scheduled by a stakeholders group made up of the various leagues that use the facility.

Police & Court 

How do I get a restraining order? 
You must personally go to the Thurston County Courthouse and apply for one. All restraining/protection orders are issued through the County in which you reside. 

How do I obtain a concealed pistol license? 
All concealed pistol licenses are obtained through the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office. The City of Yelm does not issue concealed pistol licenses.  

How do I get a copy of a police report or collision report? 
Fill out the Public Disclosure Record request form and drop it off in person, by mail or fax. You must have current ID. For collision reports they can be requested and provided to person(s) involved through in-person or mail.  

How do I get in contact with an officer without dialing 911? 
During normal business hours, Monday through Thursday between 8 AM and 5 PM, and Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM you can call 360-458-5701 and speak with or leave a message for an officer. We will not provide a cell phone or home phone information. Outside of normal business hours you should call TCOMM 9-1-1 (dispatch) at 360-704-2740 to have an officer return your call, if he or she is on duty. 

How do I take care of my outstanding warrant?    
When you fail to appear for a scheduled court date, violate a condition of release or sentence, or fail to pay a fine, the Judge may issue a bench warrant for your arrest.  You must then post bail in the amount set by the court and another court date will be set, unless you meet the personal release criteria.  In that case, you will be released without having to post bail and will be given a new court date.  An additional $100 warrant fee may be imposed by the court as well.  If a warrant has been issued for your arrest, you may post cash bail at Yelm Municipal Court, 206 McKenzie Avenue SE, Monday through Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM. You may also come in on our add/on calendar to address your warrant.

How do I appear on the warrant add-on calendar?   
Check-in time is between 8 AM and 9 AM at the clerks window on court dates only.  If you fail to check in by 9 AM, you will be asked to return on the next available add-on calendar.  For more information on dates to check in, please contact the Court at 360-458-3242.

How do I pay my fine?   
The court accepts personal check, money order, or cash as methods of payment at the front counter only.  Credit card payments can be made through Official Payments Corporation by phone (1-800-272-9829), press Option #2, or online at, and enter the Jurisdiction code 8026.  There is a fee imposed by Official Payments of $3.95 per transaction.  You must have your court case number to make a payment!

How do I apply for a public defender?
Stop by the Yelm Municipal Court during normal office hours to request  to be represented by a public defender or call them at 360-458-3242. 

 How do I apply for a new passport or renew my passport?
Yelm Municipal Court is a passport acceptance facility!  Bring your completed application, passport photos, picture ID, birth records, and the application fee into the Court offices on Tuesdays & Wednesdays ONLY, 8:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. - (with last application taken at 12:45 P.M.) **NO EXCEPTIONS** We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.  Court related business is a priority so please expect delays.  Please call 360-458-3242 for more information.

Public Works 

How do I request the trees and bushes to be trimmed along the street or in my neighborhood? 
Contact Yelm Public Works at 360-458-8406 and select option 3 or send an email to The area in question will be evaluated and put on the street tree trimming schedule. 

When will the Yelm Loop be finished? 
The City of Yelm constantly lobbies the Washington State Legislature for construction funding for stage 2 of the Yelm Loop from Cullens Road to SR 507.  This portion of the project includes two bridges (one over Yelm Creek and one over the Yelm Prairie Line Railroad), and a Roundabout at Wilkenson Road.  The estimated cost is $54.6 million. Yelm’s lobbyists will continue to ensure that funding for the Loop is highlighted during legislative sessions.  You can help by letting your representatives know how important the project is for the region. 

Permits & Licenses 

How do I obtain a Garage Sale Permit? 
You must come to the Yelm Police Department, 206 McKenzie Avenue and provide information as to location and specific dates of your sale. A representative will provide you with a permit number for verification. There are also specific rules that apply to how often and how you can advertise for your sale. No off-site signage is allowed. 

When do I need a building permit? 
Construction projects including new structures, additions, and alteration usually require a building permit.  There are a few exceptions, including fences 7 feet or less, uncovered decks 30 inches or lower, and storage sheds 200 square feet or smaller.  Plumbing or mechanical permits are required when you replace hot water tanks, furnaces, heat pumps or air conditioners.  The Washington State Department of Labor and Industries permits and inspects all electrical and low voltage installations.  We encourage you to call the Community Development Department at 360-458-3835 if you have questions about whether a permit is required.





Check out our helpful calendar for community events, parades and meetings



Document Library


Official and Public Notices





Press Releases, links to social media, and City updates



How do I...?


Find the answer to your questions